The travel clinic will be closed until further notice.
No travel medicine, vaccination or TB skin testing services will be available during this time
Given the situation with COVID-19 worldwide and the governments recommendation for Canadians to avoid all non-essential travel of any kind, all travel medicine
services will remain on hold for the time being. If you require the second or subsequent dose of a series previously started with our clinic, please contact
807 345 1191 x 4 for a booked appointment.
Please note that TB Skin Tests cannot be performed on
Thursdays, or the Friday preceeding a holiday Monday.
Please note that we cannot provide medical recommendations
over the phone or via email for any reason.
We also cannot provide more information regarding vaccine
availability than what is contained below under Important Notices
There are currently massive worldwide shortages in multiple vaccine products:
- Hepatitis A vaccine for adults is unavailable
- In most cases we will substiute 2 doses of the pediatric vaccine for the adult vaccine however that product is also now on backorder, so when supply is depleted it will not be available until the shortage resolves.
- Limited supplies of Hepatitis A pediatric are available on a first come, first served basis.
- This product is now on backorder so when our supply is depleted it will not be available until the backorder resolves.
- Other shortages may periodically occur. Unfortunately, many of these products have limited suppliers and may not be available from alternative sources
Yellow Fever Vaccine
- No vaccine is presently available
- Please be advised that we will not hold vaccine, and it will be offered strictly on a First Come - First Served basis. As we utilize doses, this page will be updated. This vaccine will likely not be on hand for long as demand is extremely high.
- Please note that Yellow Fever Vaccine is in a shortage situation, which has severely reduced public supply. Sanofi Pasteur (the sole North American manufacturer) has not identified when regular supply will resume; and the shortage may persist though 2019
- Yellow fever vaccine must be provided by a clinician who is designated under the Yellow Fever Vaccination Program to provide this vaccine. The yellow fever vaccination cannot be dispensed even with a prescription from a provider who is not designated by the YFVP to do so.
- You must present in person with your passport in order to receive this vaccine, when available, and to receive a copy of the Certification of Vaccination required for immigation purposes.
Prepare for take-off with Janzen’s Travel Health Clinics!
Whether you’re travelling for business or pleasure, our team offers complete pre-travel health advice and vaccinations specific to your needs and destination.
- Visits are walk-in only, and are first come / first served.
- We do not provide telemedicine consultations or recommendations at this time.
- We recommend visiting our centres (or any travel health clinic) a minimum of six weeks prior to travel.
- Janzen's Travel Health and Vaccine Clinic will not administer vaccines or injections obtained at other providers or pharmacies due to concerns of appropriate storage and handling.
- We are able to hold additional doses of vaccines to be administered in the future, however it is the client's responsibility to ensure they present for any recommended follow up.
Costs of Service
- Our standard consultation fee is $35.00 for individuals, and $85.00 for families of 3 or more (plus HST).
- OHIP does not fund travel medicine or travel vaccination, and we cannot direct-bill insurance plans for the consultation fee, only prescribed medications/vaccinations.
- We will provide an invoice for the consultation fee to provide to your private health plan for reimbursement.
- Ensure you bring your health / drug benefit information so we may attempt to put the vaccinations or medications through your benefit plan.
- Clients will receive pricing on vaccinations and medications prior to filling.
- Clients are under no obligation to have recommended medications or vaccinations filled.
- If a product is special order, payment may be required prior to ordering the vaccination or medication.
What to Bring to Your Visit?
- Immunization Record
- Extended Health Benefits Card / Drug Coverage Information
- List of Current Medications
Tuberculin Skin Testing (TB Skin Tests)
- The Travel Health & Vaccine Clinic will also perform non-medically necessary Tuberculin Skin Testing ('TB Skin Tests') for education or employment purposes at our clinics.
- The Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) does not cover the cost of TB Skin Testing for employment or seniors assisted living home placement.
- TB Skin tests must be read 48-72 hours after administration.
- TB Skin tests cannot be performed at Thursday clinics
- TB Skin tests cannot be performed on Fridays preceeding a holiday Monday
- Please note that we are unable to administer TB Skin Tests at the clinics on Thursdays in addition to Fridays preceeding a holiday Monday.
- There is a $55.00 + HST fee for this service.
- A two step TB Skin Test will be billed for each individual test at the time of injection.
- There is a separate charge for each TB Skin Test in a 2-step TB Skin Test.
- Effective Jan 30st, 2017 TB skin testing for the purposes of education is insured under the Ontario Health Insurance Plan. However, as our clinic is not funded under OHIP; we will be continuing to charge for providing TB Skin Testing for students (as we are not using publicly funder Tubersol/TB Skin Test Serum). Please note that in addition to being listed here, this is also identified in the consent form for TB skin testing that all clients must complete, and as such we will not provide refunds to clients who are unaware of this policy. All students are encouraged to contact their primary care provider (family doctor, nurse practitioner or clinic) to determine if they are able to accomodate them for TB skin tests. We are awaiting word from our local public health unit if we can receive publicly funded TB serum; at which time we may revisit this policy.
Telemedicine Consultations for Travel Health & Vaccination Clinic
- Please note that at this time we do not provide over the phone or online travel medicine consultations for any reason.
- Similar to how you cannot phone a walk-in clinic requesting a prescription for antibiotics for a cough, pre-travel consultations are individualized assessments to determine your risk of contracting possible life-threatening conditions on your trip.
- During consultations there may be discussions of your current health history; including medications, allegies, health conditions and other information, that may directly impact the safety of our clients.
- It is our responsibily to ensure that you make an informed decision regarding possible risks and benefits of any treatment, including vaccination.
- To ensure that costs are reasonable and to avoid financial barriers to receiving pre-travel preventative care, we have set our costs at or below the costs of the alternative local travel clinic.
- Although the Travel Health & Vaccination Clinic is located within Janzen's Pharmacy; pharmacy staff cannot give medical recommendations over the phone.
Travel Health Resources
- We will accept emails for general information, such as clinic hours or locations.
- We cannot answer emails with medical information requests, such as recommendations for specific travel locations or the 'necessity' for vaccinations
- Parents and guardians are responsible for reporting vaccines administered to school aged children to their local medical officer of health.
- In June 2018, the government canceled a new requirement for doctors and nurses to report vaccines to public health.
- Ontario is working on a more integrated reporting approach for health care providers.
- As there is not an integrated record in Ontario, the travel clinic will not be able to determine what vaccines you may have received outside of Janzen's Travel Clinic
- You may wish to contact your family medical provider and the Thunder Bay District Health Unit to obtain copies of your previous records
- If you are requesting records from our Travel Health & Vaccination Clinics please submit the Record Request Form via email, fax or at a Janzen's Pharmacy location.
- Please note that records may take up to 30 days to be available
- We will not provide information over the phone
Routine Publicly Funded Vaccinations
- Please note that the Janzen's Travel Health and Vaccination Clinic is not funded under OHIP. As such, if you are seeking publicly funded routine vaccinations please speak to your primary care provider or contact the Thunder Bay District Health Unit.
- Most walk-in clinics in Thunder Bay do not provide routine pediatric vaccinations.
- As we are a travel clinic you will be billed to see the Nurse Practitioner, regardless of if it is determined that you do not require travel specific immunizations and only require routine publicly funded vaccines. We do not charge for the vaccines, but the service fee is for the visit with the Practitioner.